There are different types of maintenance and they are
- Routine maintenance
- Daily maintenance
- Weekly maintenance
- Preventive maintenance
- Breakdown maintenance
- Capital repairs or Corrective maintenance
1. Routine Maintenance
Routine maintenance is done to avoid unnecessary breakdown of machine tools. It involves regular works like cleaning and lubricating, making minor adjustments and doing small repair works.
It is important to chart out what are all to be done daily, weekly and monthly.
1. Cleaning all the parts of the machine tool
2. Lubricating the movable parts with grease and oil as per requirements
3. To correct the machine tool to make it operate accurately
4. To look at whether the coolant supply and auto lubricating equipment are working properly
5. To remove the burrs cleanly
1. The measuring instruments, gauges and hand tools are checked and corrected if necessary.
2. The spare parts and integral parts of the machine tools should be cleaned.
3. The entire workshop premises should be maintained cleanly.
4. Grinding wheels of bench grinders and tool and cutter grinders should be dressed. The work rests of these machines should be adjusted properly.
5. The protective devices in the machine tool are checked whether they are properly fixed. And they are corrected if necessary.
6. The cables and electrical connections should be checked.
7. The position and working of belt, chain etc., are checked and adjusted.
8. Parts like gears, clutches and bearings are checked for their proper functioning.
9. The accuracy of precision measuring instruments are checked and corrected. They are also checked for zero error.
2. Preventive Maintenance
In order to avoid sudden breakdown of machine tools and major repairs, a complete maintenance program is charted out. This will ensure that there is no slip in the rate of production.
In case of any major breakdown to the machine tool, two types of losses are incurred to the management.
- Direct losses
- Indirect losses
Direct loss is the expenditure incurred for repairing the machine tools and getting them back in action.
Indirect losses happen by the loss of income for the disturbed production. The management has to pay the laborers their wages. It will also be earning a bad name due to non – deliverance of the products to its customers. So, it is necessary to plan the preventive maintenance program to avoid such losses.
Even if the machine tools are working in proper conditions, it is better to stop production once in a while to make the necessary repairs and adjustments. Certain parts should be replaced if necessary.
3. Breakdown Maintenance
Even after enforcing routine maintenance and preventive maintenance, there are chances that some machine parts may fail due to some reason or other. In order to bring back the machine to its original working condition, some minor or major repairs are needed to be done. This type of maintenance is known as breakdown maintenance.
4. Corrective Maintenance
Even if the machine is functioning properly, it is necessary to halt the functioning of the machine to do some major repair once is a year. To do that, the machine parts are to be dissembled completely and worn out parts are replaced. Some parts of the machine may be in a condition that they need to be replaced soon. To correct all such difficulties, the machine is stopped from functioning to do all and every repairs to bring back the machine to accurate machining conditions. This called as corrective maintenance.
Central Maintenance Department
The primary aim of maintenance department is to ensure the machine tools, instruments, tools and accessories in good working conditions. More maintenance attention is needed when the work load increases. If the machines are maintained properly, we can lookout for more production.
Separate maintenance department will be functioning in major machine shops and industries. Experienced engineers, supervisors, technicians will be working in this department. Separate equipment and instruments will be used in the department.