As disgusting as it might sound to some people, let’s make some fake snot! Snot actually serves an important purpose in our body so this experiment is not all about grossing out our friends, although that’s certainly part of the fun.
What you’ll need:
- Boiling water (be careful with this)
- A cup
- Corn syrup
- A teaspoon
- A fork
1. Fill half a cup with boiling water.
2. Add three teaspoons of gelatin to the boiling water.
3. Let it soften before stirring with a fork.
4. Add a quarter of a cup of corn syrup.
5. Stir the mixture again with your fork and look at the long strands of gunk that have formed.
6. As the mixture cools slowly add more water, small amounts at a time.
Mucus is made mostly of sugars and protein. Although different than the ones found in the real thing, this is exactly what you used to make your fake snot. The long, fine strings you could see inside your fake snot when you moved it around are protein strands. These protein strands make snot sticky and capable of stretching.