There are numerous sorts of cement tapes accessible for us to look over. They are accessible in numerous sizes and hues. Cement tapes can likewise be straightforward, shaded, single side, twofold sided or as glue froth strips. Contingent upon the application for which they are expected, these tapes are made of distinctive sorts of materials and cements. A portion of the basic sorts of tapes are cellophane tape, channel tape, scotch tape, electrical tape and concealing tape.
Duct tape is a standout amongst the most adaptable tapes and they can be utilized for some applications like holding covers set up, repairing hoses, tying books and notwithstanding holding together parts of a broken window. They are regularly utilized as a part of spots where dependable, adaptable and solid glue is needed.
Electrical tape is typically utilized as a part of homes or vehicles to protect electrical wiring. In homes, they are typically utilized for introducing electrical apparatuses, for example, lights and fans. Their motivation is to protect wire joints and end presented live wires to forestall shortcircuits or electric shock in the event that somebody inadvertently touches the uncovered wire.
The most well-known kind of tape found in all homes is the straightforward scotch tape and the cellophane tape. These are multipurpose tapes and they are utilized to blessing wrap presents, stick paper together and to seal plastic packs.
The materials required for this science fair project:
- A roll of cellophane tape
- A roll of duct tape
- A roll of scotch tape
- A roll of electrical tape
- A roll of masking tape
- 2 chairs or stools
- A metal steel plate (approximately 50mm x 500mm x 5mm)
- 5 pieces of string, each approximately 500mm long
- Weights – 50grams x 2 pieces, 100grams x 10 pieces, 1kg x 3 pieces
- A ruler
- For this science fair project, the independent variable is the type of adhesive tape used i.e. cellophane tape, duct tape, scotch tape, electrical tape and masking tape. The dependent variable is the adhesive strength of the tape. This is determined by hanging weights at the end of a piece of string, which is held in place on a steel plate by the tape. It is then observed as to how long it takes for the adhesion of the tape to give way. The constants (control variables) are the size of the tape, the steel surface, the room temperature and the type of weights used.
- Place the 2 stools about 400mm apart. Clean the surface of the metal steel plate. It is then placed onto the 2 stools.
- Cut a piece of cellophane tape about 200mm long. Take a piece of string and stick the middle of the string to the bottom center of the steel plate using the cellophane tape. The surface of cellophane tape is pressed down so that it is properly adhered to the surface of the steel plate.
- A knot is tied at one end of the string and weights are gradually added to the end of the string until the adhesion of the tape gives way and the weights drop onto the floor. The amount of weight required to counter the adhesiveness of the tape is calculated and the results are recorded in the table below.
- Procedures 2, 3 and 4 are repeated with the duct tape, scotch tape, electrical tape and masking tape. The results are recorded in the table below.
It is observed that the duct tape was the strongest among the 5 type of tapes tested.
|Type of tape||Cellophane||Duct tape||Scotch tape||Electrical tape||Masking tape|
The graph below represents the results of our science project experiment.
The hypothesis that the duct tape will require the greatest amount of force to be pulled off the steel surface is correct.
Duct tape was initially developed in 1942 during World War II to seal ammunition cases. It was made with rubber based adhesive for water resistance. Fabric was included in the tape to give it strength. These properties made it useful in making quick repairs of firearms, vehicles and even airplanes.